banner ad

Bideford 35, BARFC 22 (09/09/17)

| 10/09/2017

Bridgwater and Albion made the trip to North Devon on Saturday where despite losing two key players to injury they led several times but in the end were beaten a Bideford side who scored three times in the final 10 minutes of the game.

The visitors welcomed Matt Hastie to the side, back after a break of two seasons to make his 254th appearance for the Albion.

After just one minute when Bridgwater lost Ollie Dunn with a foot injury after one minute. The skipper was replaced by Shaun Mahoney.

The visitors regrouped quickly and after five minutes a great move involving Stuart Heal, Luke Plummer and Brad Talbot resulted in Kyran Devitt scoring a try which Heal duly converted.

Bideford responded strongly and created considerable pressure that resulted in being awarded two penalties, the second of which resulted in prop forward Norman being bundled over the line for an unconverted try.

After 15 minutes Adam Coneybeare, making his debut at scrum half, created space and started a good move, but sadly Bridgwater were unable to turn their advantage into points.

Albion did however extend their lead when strong running from Talbot and Plummer again resulted in Devitt racing through to score an unconverted try which made the score 12-5.

On 35 minutes Bideford reduced the gap when Hyam slotted home a penalty.

Shortly afterwards the hosts took the lead for the first time, when following a line out they drove 20 metres before their scrum half chipped the ball forward for Elliott to gather and score a try which Hyam converted making the score 15-12 at the break.

Almost from the kick off Bridgwater levelled the scores when Heal kicked a penalty, straight after which he limped off injured.

Bideford continued to attack strongly and after 52 minuted Hyam regained the lead for the hosts when he kicked a penalty to make it 18-15.

Bridgwater however responded in the best possible way when a great run by Plummer, now playing as stand off, led to Ethan Trebble Westlake scoring a try which Devitt converted, to put the visitors back in the lead.

Shortly afterwards George Sluman was yellow carded and during his absence Bideford prop Norman scored an unconverted try to regain the lead for his side.

On 73 minutes Bideford scored a further try when their centre Elliott went over and Hyam converted to make the score 30-22.

Just before the final whistle Elliott made a strong break from the midfield which resulted in a Bideford scrum, from which flanker Folland went over for a try, making the final score 35-22.

Bridgwater and Albion- Tom Fournier, Ryan Barnett, Jay Owen, Luke Plummer, Kyran Devitt, Stuart Heal, Adam Coneybeare, Matt Ransom, Alan Roberts, Kurt Polley, Ollie Dunn, George Sluman and Brad Talbot.

Replacements- all used- Tom Lewis, Lewis Phillips and Shaun Mahoney.

Tags: ,

Category: 1st XV News, Previews / Reports -XV

Comments are closed.