banner ad

Wellington RFC 23- Bridgwater and Albion RFC 34

| 26/04/2022

Wellington RFC 23- Bridgwater and Albion RFC 34

Bridgwater and Albion RFC ended their season against Wellington.  The same team they played on the opening day back in September.  On this occasion they ran out the winners of a tough and bruising encounter.

This result means that the Albion end the 2021-22 campaign fourth from the bottom of the table with 37 points, two points ahead of near neighbours North Petherton.

Early pressure from Bridgwater and Albion RFC

Bridgwater kicked off and from the start were into the attack creating early pressure but the Wellington defence held firm and eventually cleared their lines.

The hosts broke from defence and after eight minutes threatened the Albion line following a stray pass and a strong run, but the ball was cleared and the visitors were soon back in Wellington territory.

Pressure rewarded

After 15 minutes the Albion pressure was rewarded when they were awarded a long range penalty which Stuart Heal slotted home.

Wellington bounced back strongly and five minutes later following a slow build up.  Liam Phillips went over from close range in the left hand corner.  This gave the hosts the lead, much to the delight of the home contingent in the large crowd.

Within two minutes of the re-start Wellington had extended their lead when Regan Walker scored another unconverted try.  This made the score 10-3.

Heal on target

Bridgwater regrouped and came back strongly and on 34 minutes were awarded another penalty, this one from 30 metres which Heal made no mistake with.

Oskar White broke down the right wing from deep in his own half but was tackled just short of the line. Bridgwater were awarded a five metre scrum.  During the ensuing moves Taylor Buller received an eye injury which resulted in him taking no further part in the game.

After a break in proceedings Ethan Trebble-Westlake replaced Buller.  With the clock showing 55 minutes of play the replacement scored a try which Heal converted.  This made the score 10-13 at the break.

Yellow card for Wellington RFC

Soon after the re-start Wellington were reduced to 14 men.  One of their players yellow carded for not rolling away. Within minutes of this incident Jon Hill produced a great run from his own half and scored between the posts.  Heal added the extras making the score 10-20.

Wellington responded with two penalties to close the gap to just four points.

The Albion were looking to try to close the game out when Heal received the ball in his own half.  He then chipped ahead before regathering and running for the try line. Heal had Richard Bright on his outside and timed his pass superbly to Bright who had returned to the field of play only shortly beforehand.  Bright scored to the right of the posts which Heal converted.

In few remaining minutes Wellington RFC’s skipper crosses the line

The hosts weren’t done yet! With only a few minutes remaining their skipper Danny Lee scored a try.  Alex Davey then converted to make the score 23-27 and set up a grandstand finish.

Bridgwater went straight back onto the attack.  In almost the final move of the game, prop forward Graham Slorance charged over the line for a the winning try.  Heal then converted to make the final score 23-34.

Bridgwater and Albion RFC -Oskar White, Will Monro, Jay Owens, Jake Knight, Richard Bright, Stuart Heal, Jon Hill, Taylor Buller, George Sluman (capt) Karolis Urbonis, Olly Davis, Tom Hopkins, Graham Slorance, Jordan Buller and Matt Ranson.

Replacements- all used- Sam Adcock, Ethan Trebble- Westlake and Lewis Plece

Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for all our latest updates..

And keep an eye on our website for all the out of season events and information!

Tags: ,

Category: 1st XV News

Comments are closed.